منتدى اللغة الإنجليزية بالكلية التقنية بتبوك

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
منتدى اللغة الإنجليزية بالكلية التقنية بتبوك

بإشراف مشرف اللغة الانجليزية ا/علي المحمدي

A brief background about Old English Literature

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

A brief background about Old English Literature Empty A brief background about Old English Literature

Post  Admin Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:18 pm

Main article: Anglo-Saxon literature

BeowulfOld English period :450-1066 The earliest form of English literature developed after the settlement of the Saxons and other Germanic tribes in England after the withdrawal of the Romans and is known as Old English or Anglo-Saxon. Epic poem Beowulf is the most famous work in Old English. A hero of the Geats, Beowulf battles three antagonists: Grendel, Grendel's mother; and a Dragon. The only surviving manuscript is the Nowell Codex. The precise date of the manuscript is debated, but most estimates place it close to the year 1000.(The oldest surviving text in English is Cædmon's Hymn)

A popular poem of the time was "The Dream of the Rood." It was inscribed upon the Ruthwell Cross.

Another poem was "Judith (poem)." It was a retelling of the story found in the Latin Bible's Book of Judith of the beheader of the Assyrian general Holofernes.

Chronicles contained a range of historical and literary accounts; one example is the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.

[edit] Late medieval literature in England
    Latin literature circulated among the educated classes.

Following the Norman Conquest, the development of Anglo-Norman literature in the Anglo-Norman realm introduced literary trends from Continental Europe such as the chanson de geste.

Geoffrey Chaucer, father of English literatureIn the later medieval period a new form of English now known as Middle English evolved. This is the earliest form which is comprehensible to modern readers and listeners, albeit not easily.

The most significant Middle English author was the poet Geoffrey Chaucer who was active in the late 14th century. His main works were The Canterbury Tales and Troilus and Criseyde.

The multilingual audience for literature in the 14th century can be illustrated by the example of John Gower, who wrote in Latin, Middle English and Anglo-Norman.

Religious literature, such as hagiographies enjoyed popularity.

Women writers such as Marie de France and Julian of Norwich were also active.

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (Most likely the Pearl Poet)
    Le Morte d'Arthur (Sir Thomas Malory)

A brief background about Old English Literature Empty No body cares

Post  Guest Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:46 am

I wonder why everybody looks so busy but he isn't. why we don't care about each other!? why we don't wish happiness for each other! Well, i think some people look greedy. They never fillfull. They never satisfy. Each one has his own boarders but some of the others wish to climb these boarders just to see what really is there. Let me ask you a question, what makes you happy and proud? may be the answer is that u r what u really r. May be u c yourself as a superior and the others are inferiors. May be u enjoy hurting others. I really don't know.You can not gain everything; money, health, happiness, satisfiction,....etc.You must never forget that there is ALLAH who sees you wherever u r and knows whatever u do. So, please don't ever forget that, not for me but for your own sake.
    Every one of us has passed the first half of his age(ALLAH only knows how long it is.), so don't waste the second. You know, time never goes back. Instead, we should stand together , correct our mistakes and support each other. I'd like to remind my colleagues and myself that good deeds are easily forgetten but bad ones are never forgetten. so try to keep good memories about yourself towards others through good behaviour and nice talk with a sincere love only for the sake of ALLAH not for this nor that.
    I'm sorry. May be this was too much but now I feel comfortable. Waiting for your replies or any criticism. Finally, I always hope that tomorrow will be better than today.
    Yours M.H.

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 2:55 pm